Wednesday, March 4, 2009

O Film Viewing

Right now, we are watching the film O in class. I knew that it was a modern spinoff of Shakespeare's Othello, but I did not realize how close the storyline of the film would follow the plot of Shakespeare's play. Knowing this however, makes the film seem a little silly and outlandish. I don't know too many guys who would give a girl a scarf as a present. I am looking forward to the conclusion of the film. I feel as though it may turn out to be slightly on the ridiculous side and not very realistic.

One thing that I do like about the film though is that you can see how easily Hugo is able to plant a seed of doubt in Odin's mind about Desi and Michael. I like that the film gives a reason for Hugo's behavior (his being on some type of steroid and the trouble he is having with his father). It makes Hugo seem more human. In the play, Iago just seems to be a cold, heartless person. The film gives Hugo more of a life and emotion. It is also easy to see how the fight that Desi and Odin got into when she couldn't find the scarf was a misunderstanding on both of their parts. As a viewer, it is extremely frustrating because I can see where they both think that they are right and that because they are not communicating with each other clearly, they are only making the situation worse and exactly what Hugo wants.

1 comment:

  1. hey Lauren!

    I like how you think the drugs and mental abuse makes Hugo more human...

    and who are you kidding!? I've ALWAYS wanted a ancient scarf from my boyfriend! lol :)

    ReplyDelete