Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lucy

I just finished reading the novel Lucy. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It goes fast and I like Jamaica Kincaid's style of writing. She has created an extremely complex character in Lucy herself. Lucy has a lot of emotions boiling up inside her, especially with feelings about her mother and father. I don't particularly think that Lucy had a tough childhood, although she did witness a lot around her that was difficult, such as her father's other women and what her father's childhood did to him. Nevertheless, Lucy seems like an extremely angry person to me. While in America, she continues to lash out and while she may not always tell people what she is thinking, she is certainly not thinking positive thoughts about them. She also develops an odd relationship with Mariah too. She loves and hates Mariah at the same time, just as she feels towards her mother. I feel as though she takes a little bit of her anger at her mother out on Mariah. And I do believe that she does love her mother; in some ways, I think she is just a normal teenage girl taking her anger and confusion at the world out on her mother in order to make herself feel better.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you I really enjoyed reading this novel and that Lucy seems to be cought up in her anger. When I first started reading the story I was not sure if she really had a problem with Mariah or if it was just misguided anger.I also was sort of confused about why Mariah was so angry about her childhood. I dont think her family intentionally hurt her. I think Kincade does a great job of developing Lucy as a character and has a great style of writting.

    ReplyDelete