Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Girl, Interrupted film viewing

I viewed the film "Girl, Interrupted" on Monday evening for class. I had never seen the movie before and while it was not the kind of movie I would normally watch, I did rather enjoy it. I thought that most of the girls portrayed in it were completely nuts, but I also thought, just as Valerie did, that Susanna was not really ill. I think she was more or less just upset and confused about where she was in life and being around all of the other girls made her think she was even crazier. Once she realized this, she was able to help herself get better and eventually be released from the mental hospital.

One thing I found extremely interesting in the film was the appearance of Lisa. She always wore white or beige washed-out clothing, her skin was especially pale, and her hair was even a dull color. I think this was done on purpose to enhance the character. I also think the casting directors made the right decision hiring Angelina Jolie for the part because she played it well.

Something else that I found interesting about the film was a line that Susanna used at the very end of the film: "Was I ever crazy? Maybe. Or life is. . . Crazy isn't being broken or swallowing a dark secret. It's you or me amplified." I think that in their own way, everyone is a little bit crazy whether they show it or not. I think the definition of normal is in the eye of the beholder. Can anyone really be classified as normal? What is normal? What is crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment